Once upon a time, our grandmothers outdid us, they made and ate very nutritious natural foods, well prepared and well preserved. I do not know what happened along the way, did we get lazy? Is it the development in the food industry?
what happened to us?
We eat to live, and our bodies depend on food for well-known reasons such as energy, growth and development, and body defence. That is why we eat carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins in the recommended amounts on a daily basis.
Over the years Nutritionists, alongside other health professionals have worked tirelessly toward changing lousy food habits for a healthier population. And for simple reasons such as losing weight and preventing chronic illnesses.
What are these bad food habits :
- Chips /French fries (contain too much fat)
- Sugar and sweetened drinks. ( contain too much sugar)
- Sweets and candies. (too much added sugar)
- Cakes. (too many unhealthy ingredients)
- Processed meats like sausage. (too much sodium and fat)
- Fast food meals. (very little nutrients)
- Highly processed foods (excess salt and sugar).
What alternatives can you make:
- Instead of soda and other carbonated drinks; blend your juice, drink a cup of milk, drink more water, and achieve hydration healthily.
- Choose a healthy method of cooking; instead of frying, steam, stew, or boil. Preserve more nutrients.
- Moderately sweetened desserts, opt for healthier desserts like fruit salad.
- Instead of eating too many sweets and candy, eat fruits.
- Avoid processed meats as much as you can.
Because what? The effects of a bad food choice are many:
- Talk about high blood pressure, from too much salt and fat.
- Talk about Diabetes, from too much sugar.
- Tooth decay.
- Increased risk of certain cancers.
- Eating disorders.
- Heart diseases and stroke.
Just to mention but a few.
Lucky for you, you can prevent all that by simply changing your food habits.
As the benefits of good food choices are too many.
- You will be able to easily manage high blood pressure because you can reduce your intake of salt.
- By reducing too much sugar and sugary drinks, you can easily manage blood sugar levels.
- By moderating/stopping the use of over-processed meats you reduce your risk of certain cancers.
- By preventing obesity, you prevent the potential risks of heart disease and stroke.
- Better dental care, and No tooth decay.
- Weight loss.
- Good sleep, less stress, and a generally healthy lifestyle.
Do you realize that the benefits outweigh the effects? Leave a comment.